EDUCATION & YOUTH
Andre is a proud product of Atlanta Public Schools (APS), a graduate of Georgia Tech and Georgia State, and the father of a daughter who attended Atlanta Public Schools, so he knows the value of our public education institutions. Providing the youth of Atlanta the best education possible is key to helping them achieve their true potential.
His achievements on the Atlanta City Council have prepared him to tackle the issues facing Atlanta’s youth:
- Added two youth-focused positions to the Atlanta Citizen Review Board for police accountability.
- Successfully created the City of Atlanta/Atlanta Board of Education Joint Commission – the first joint commission of its kind.
- Led the charge to return ownership of APS property deeds from the City to the school system.
- Primary Councilmember to help broker the APS/Beltline dispute. Voted against the BeltLine budget that reduced tax revenue for APS.
- Hosted the Scholarship Academy and Fair at City Hall every November for more than 500 high school seniors and juniors.
- Revived the City’s Youth Commission to give youth a voice in government.
- Sponsored the Teen “Midnight” Basketball League which started summer 2017 with more than 120 youth participants.
- Required new school zone light beacons as a part of Renew Atlanta Bond projects.
- Hosted Back 2 School Bash, where more than 1,000 book bags with school supplies have been given to APS students leading into the school year.
- Sponsored APS Get Our Kids Connected campaign supporting thousands of students attending APS who do not have internet connection and/or appropriate equipment for distance learning, by partnering with Comcast to provide free laptops and 12 months of free internet.