Housing isn’t just about buildings and profit. It’s about people. And this problem doesn’t just impact people in poverty, it impacts all of us. A successful housing affordability strategy requires a collective approach, where all parties are seated at the table. Andre is committed to ensuring development without displacement and providing practical, diverse housing options for our diverse community. As Atlanta thrives, Andre is working hard to secure affordable housing opportunities for all.
Andre’s work to provide and protect affordable housing throughout the city demonstrates his deep commitment and leadership:
- Successfully wrote and championed groundbreaking Inclusionary Zoning legislation requiring new rental developments in the BeltLine and Westside neighborhoods to provide affordably priced set aside units.
- Authored monumental legislation that requires any development receiving public dollars to produce affordable housing units.
- Pushed legislation that has become the model for affordable housing legislation in Fulton and DeKalb Counties, and for Invest Atlanta, BeltLine, and APS.
- Created the fund and program to rehab senior homes along the BeltLine Westside Trail and co-sponsored legislation creating the $40 million Housing Opportunity Bond.
- Passed legislation that requires Affordable Housing Impact Statements for all land developments.
- As Community Development Chairman and Invest Atlanta Board Secretary, incentivized more than 2,000 affordable units.