Andre knows what it takes to create better jobs for Atlantans and help local businesses thrive, and will continue to champion Atlanta as a destination for growing businesses. He is focused on ensuring that while the city continues to entice Fortune 100 enterprises, it remains diligent in its support and recognition of the small businesses that employ so many Atlantans.
While on the Atlanta City Council, Andre:
- Co-sponsored and passed legislation requiring city government to pay a minimum hourly wage of $15.
- Sponsored and hosted the “Blacks In Tech” policy conference, focused on advancing efforts to bring more diversity to STEM fields.
- Helped create 21,000 new jobs and $3.3 billion of capital investment in Atlanta as the Invest Atlanta Board Secretary.
Andre has also excelled in creating jobs and economic opportunities through his work in the private sector:
- Created a program at TechBridge that has provided free training IT to nearly 300 low income people to get certified in technology skills, allowing them to get IT jobs averaging $56,000 a year.
- Formed agreements with Microsoft, AirBnB, Georgia Power, Accenture and others to ensure that part of their workforce comes from the TechBridge program Andre created to provide free IT training for low income people.
- Co-founded a retail furniture business with his sister and grew it into a multi-million dollar business with over twenty employees.