Atlanta residents deserve to feel safe in their homes and neighborhoods. Andre will continue to collaborate with the community and the police, working every day for a safer Atlanta.
Andre has already established a firm foundation for future public safety goals with these achievements while serving on the Atlanta City Council:
- Joined the APD Chief of Police Advisory Council in November 2020 as the only City Councilmember in order to provide input to the Chief and APD leadership staff on public safety needs and solutions throughout the city.
- Chaired the Public Safety and Legal Administration Committee in 2017, during which time homicides went down 33%, and all violent crimes decreased 12%.
- Championed and passed pay increases for Investigators and Senior Patrol Officers effective retroactively to August, 2015.
- Co-sponsored “ban the box” legislation, which no longer requires applicants to reveal prior convictions on employment applications.
- Conducted monthly “Walk-n-Talks” with APD and community members to walk the streets preventing crime.
- Hosted NPU Public Safety leaders at the Video Integration Center to see how APD uses cameras.
- Introduced and passed “8 Can’t Wait” legislation to ban dangerous police tactics and create clearer escalation of force procedures.
- Sponsored legislation increasing annual salaries for Senior Patrol Officers (18-O-1085) and sponsored legislation to purchase additional license plate readers (18-O-1249).
- Served on Pre-Arrest Diversion Initiative Design Team (16-C-5087) and sponsored legislation studying feasibility for Midnight Basketball League (16-R-3272)